UPDATE How to Fix a Broken Nail
|Affiliate Link Press Sample|
Like any beauty who is constantly trying out new products, I also try new techniques and methods when it comes to all things nails. If you remember after I removed the Madam Glam gel polish I had a split up the center of my ring finger nail. Since I was so impressed with how that gel held up, considering it’s a soak off, I decided to do an updated video on how to repair a broken nail using gel polish instead of hard gel.
How to fix a broken nail:
- First you need to remove any polish. If they break or split caused bleeding, wash with soap and water, apply some hydrogen peroxide and gently dry with a clean paper towel or tissue, then apply a bandage with some neosporin. You want to make sure all bleeding has stopped before attempting to repair the nail.
- Cleanse the nail using alcohol( the higher the percentage the better- I use 99%) to remove any traces of dirt or oils.
- Cut a piece of wrap (either silk, fiberglass, or tea bag) large enough to cover the break and the surrounding area.
- Apply a small amount of nail glue to a “throw away” surface. I like to use a piece of aluminum foil, but a plastic baggie or old makeup carton works well too. (If using a brush on glue, skip this step.)
- Apply the glue to the nail using a toothpick or brush on applicator, this allows precise application. Be sure to get in between the break/split and fully cover it as well as the surrounding area.
- Using tweezers, take your piece of wrap and apply it over the break. Gently press it down with the back end of the tweezers to fully adhere the wrap.
- Apply another layer of glue to fully cover the wrap. Cover any excess that goes beyond the free edge of the nail with glue. Let dry (to speed up the drying process you can spray the glue with nail glue dryer).
- Once the glue is dry you can apply another layer of glue. Continue this until desired thickness is achieved.
- File excess wrap from the free edge, then buff the surface of the glue smooth to blend with the natural nail.
- Cleanse the nail with alcohol to prepare it for the gel.
- Apply your gel base coat and cure for 30 seconds (LED).
- Apply your gel top coat and cure for 30 seconds (LED).
- Cleanse the nail with alcohol to remove the dispersion layer.
- Apply your manicure as usual. =)
Now you’re ready to…